Tuesday 18 October 2011

Day Three

Thank you all so so much for your comments!  Sorry not to have posted again sooner.  I've had quite a lot of pain and discomfort.  Maybe I'm just a complete wuss, but I don't tolerate pain that well and it makes me panicky.  But the pain is definitely less today.  I've spent most of the past 2 days sleeping, topping up pain meds every 4-5 hours.  I've been really struggling to eat/drink anything.  I know I need to do better.  I just hate that uncomfortable feeling in my chest!  My goals for today are more walking and more water.  I've been having little walks around the house, but I'd really like to go outside today.  I managed to have a shower today (taped a plastic bag around my belly) which was a wonderful thing!  I should be able to take my dressings off tomorrow or the next day.  I've also been having injections each day to prevent blood clotting (my sister's been doing them so far) and man, do they sting!  Only four more to go.  Did any of you find it hard to take deep breaths and struggle to get much down?

I ended up telling my sister and my best friend.  I'm glad I did, they've both been lovely and have been visiting me.  Both were quite shocked.  My friend said she thought these things were only for really big people (like 800lb men) but I told her, this is what big enough for WLS looks like.  I felt quite vulnerable telling them, but I know that they'll be supportive regardless.

I'm hoping that tomorrow I'll feel a lot better.  I've got quite a bit of pain in my mid section and chest and behind my left collar-bone.  I'm going to try and eat/drink more to get my strength up.

xxx

12 comments:

  1. As long as you can take in fluids and aren't getting dehydrated I wouldn't worry about not having much appetite. I would "honor" that feeling. I don't know if it is available in the UK but here in the US we have an over the counter medication called Gas-X that is supposed to help with gas and bloating in your gut. However, I took a couple dosages to help with the post-op gas pain and bloating (if that is the source of your discomfort). If you are like me, LapBand was the first time I had ever had surgery or been in hospital. I had no reference for if it hurt a little or a lot.

    Feel better soon-best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you! Cant offer you any advice sorry! Just try and take it easy! Xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the hard part, and I think you're doing great! We've all (well, all the WLS gals) been through it, so if you need any advice feel free to e-mail us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything sounds normal, Mari. You sound exactly like I did post-op. The discomfort is def. there, so take your pain meds. The gas will just go away on it's own eventually, not much you can do about it. Just keep resting, and don't force yourself to eat. It's totes normal to not have an appetite. Just do what feels right and good for you. You sound like you are doing great. Sending you hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It definitely starts getting better from here. I had issues taking deep breaths at first but for me, the gas pain was the worst. Hang in there sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was the same as Manda Panda ... and until now, I had forgotten about the deep breaths. And once the gas pain is gone (or at least, has subsided) - you'll feel better. Keep taking those walks. Welcome to the banded side :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all sounds normal, Mari. Hang in there; this is the worse of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was the same way with the pain for the first few days... and when I take a deep breath it sometimes hurts. Luckily I have had no problem keeping anything down. Day 5 for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you Mari. I thought I was such a wuss too. I cried to Robyn on the phone almost every day. I hurt, I thought it was the worst thing I ever did in my life on purpose. Seriously it was about 7 days of that then it stopped. Things got better. I turned that virtual corner and seriously, this is the BEST thing I ever did. Just hold on honey. Drink glasses of milk if you can. I know some people don't like milk but I found it helped so much when I didn't want to drink anything. It has protein and helps get some nutrients in you. If you don't like milk, try to drink some protein shakes or the clear liquids that your post op care recommends. Get some water in too sip sip sip so you don't get dehydrated. I'm so glad you have someone to lean on now and know that they still care and aren't judging you.

    Hang in there girl, the best is yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having been through this what seems like literally yesterday, you are doing great. Like the others sip, sip, walk, walk, try to fart and burp and it gets better. I mostly sipped on water and protein drinks throughout the day, don't worry about eating it will come in time. I am so proud of you girlie!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds normal to me girl... Way to go telling your sister and bf I'm sure it was hard for you but in the long run I'm sure they will be a great help.

    ReplyDelete
  12. rest and relax you just had major surgery!

    ReplyDelete