Tuesday 4 October 2011

Screw Up

Ok - a scary, honest account of the last 4 days.  Be gentle.

I started well and have mostly continued well.  It's not a liquid diet that I have to do but one that consists of 2 eggs for breakfast, chicken salad for lunch, and fish/chicken with green vegetables for dinner.  Plus 3 x fruit per day, s/f jelly and broth.  So I'm sure it's not as awful as the liquid diet.  BUT...it is very hard because I'm still just eating regular food with the same lack of willpower as I had last week and for the the whole rest of my life. I have cheated twice.  Not little cheats, big cheats.  First day was fine, big pat on the back.  Second day I was in a terrible emotional state (still am) about university and whether I should really be here, about where I live and generally hating all the anxiety that stops me living a normal life.  And I thought I was going to explode, to jump out of the train, to...I don't know what.  And the only way I could think of to break this cycle of thinking was to have food.  I ate a bag of chocolate and a bag of sweets.  Not individual servings.  It was a horrible thing to do after a successful start.  Not put off by this, it has happened again.  Yesterday did perfectly and most of today and then I had the same panic/stress build up and I bought more sweets.  I CANNOT afford to do this again.  The fear I have that surgery won't be performed because my liver is too fatty, or that maybe I don't deserve to have a band if I've found the first four days so hard.  But thing is that through the days it was fine, and on the good days it was fine.  I didn't have a problem with the food I was having, I wasn't even that hungry, I missed lattes and diet coke but didn't feel starved.  But it is the emotional eating that I couldn't control.  Please someone tell me they screwed up at least once on the pre-op, even in just a small way??  Or that I can get past this...  Oh dear.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know anyone who's made it through the preop diet without slipping. It happens. Do your best...is there maybe someone you can call to talk to instead of binging on the sweets? I had a friend who served that purpose for me and talked me down off of ledges more than once. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Manda - it's true, I slipped up several times. You do your best, and that's sll you can do. Hang in there honey, everything is going to be ok - you'll be on the other side of surgery and all will be well...keep posting about it - we'll talk you down!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't have a pre-op diet, but I can tell you, I moved through my post-op phases a bit more quickly than recommended. Eating has been something we've done for our whole lives. We've developed eating habits and they don't change over night. It's great that you did so well on the days you did, though. Just take it a day at a time. You'll get through it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there. Don't beat yourself up tomorrow is a new day. When I was feeling like eating I would go onto blogs and read about the success stories and flood my mind about the positive changes that would be happening soon. It wasn't easy but you can get through it like Jackie said "one day at a time". My cheat was I drank diet coke up until the day before surgery. It was my farewell to it and it must have worked because I haven't even thought about drinking it now that I am banded.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh hang in there, you can do it! Remember, yesterday is gone, fahgetabatit! Tomorrow is yet to be - all we have is today! Make the most of it!

    Getting over stress eating is the hardest part. You've recognized it, you've owned it, now we just need to figure out how to get past it. We can do this!!

    ReplyDelete